Custom Search

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lara's World Record
Guest_Saviour_*
post Apr 13 2004, 02:08 AM
Post #1

Guests

Lara has recovered the world record again! Hayden probably had the shortest time as world record holder - since the world record got up into the 300s.

Lara's comments were interesting when Hayden broke the record: He said, it was good of Hayden to get the world record for it gave him the challenge of recovering it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Venkat Sai_*
post Apr 13 2004, 04:24 AM
Post #2

Guests

QUOTE (Saviour @ Apr 13 2004, 02:08 AM)
Lara has recovered the world record again! Hayden probably had the shortest time as world record holder - since the world record got up into the 300s.

Lara's comments were interesting when Hayden broke the  record: He said, it was good of Hayden to get the world record for it gave him the challenge of recovering it.

Lara has declared with his score on 400. Like showing mercy to the other batsmen.

+Quote Post
Guest_rjohnson_*
post Apr 13 2004, 05:53 AM
Post #3

Guests

Lara's comments were interesting when Hayden broke the  record: He said, it was good of Hayden to get the world record for it gave him the challenge of recovering it.

Congratulations to Brian on a simply magnificent batting display.Can he now be deemed as a Triple World Record Holder ? It certainly adds a bright spark to this
current West Indies/England tour from a West Indian point of view.As a West Indian and Trinidadian I am proud to be a West Indian supporter through the good times and the bad,Lara and the rest of the team needs it.

+Quote Post
Shane
post Apr 13 2004, 09:55 AM
Post #4

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

An amazing feat indeed.

What is very poignant about it is the fact Lara himself knew he could do this. Before the series even started he is quoted as saying he would like to reclaim his record and be the FIRST person to make 400 runs.

Now that's what I call determination and mindset!

+Quote Post
Guest_Cha Cha Cricket_*
post Apr 13 2004, 11:52 PM
Post #5

Guests

I tend to wonder if Brial Lara would have made his record back if it was broken earlier than Hayden. Maybe Lara had nowhere to go before Haydens 380. If this is the case and a guessing case than you would have to put Lara as the greatest batsman of all time. Certainly of our Era.

+Quote Post
Shane
post Apr 14 2004, 12:28 PM
Post #6

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Cha Cha Cricket @ Apr 13 2004, 11:52 PM)
I tend to wonder if Brial Lara would have made his record back if it was broken earlier than Hayden. Maybe Lara had nowhere to go before Haydens 380. If this is the case and a guessing case than you would have to put Lara as the greatest batsman of all time. Certainly of our Era.

I think there is a lot more to being able to declare anyone the Greatest of all time. It cannot be simply measured via records made or broken.

If this was the case, you would have to name Tendulkar and Steve Waugh as the two greatest of all time, they both have made more centuries than anyone. See my point!

I think we can look at individual performances and carefully rate them as Great, but we have to consider different era's and different feats.

Lara's feat was a great performance, but when the record is broken IF it is broken and a batsman makes 500 runs, will that batsman then become the Greatest of all time...not necessarily.

Lara's performance may not even end in a win for the Windies, it probably will, but a more likely result of this match is a draw.

A greater performace would have been for Lara to make 200 odd, declare the innings closed and then give the Windies time to bowl England out.

When we looka the Greatest of all time for anything. We have to consider consistency, averages, , match/series winning performances and even if such Great feats are just one off performances. It's hard to set down a criteria for such things.

To try and do so would be most interesting, maybe we should start a folder where ALL members get involved and try and work out some sort of formula to determins the Greatest of all time.

We could look at say Greatest Batsman, Bowler, Team and Individual performance.

I'll set up some folders to get the ball rolling.

+Quote Post
MaraudingJ
post Apr 14 2004, 06:08 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 16

Actually, you're close. The shortest between records since it's gone over 300 (in fact, the shortest time between the record being broken ever) is three months, when Don Bradman scored 334 at Headingley in 1930 to beat the record Andy Sandham had set in his last Test, against West Indies earlier that same year (325). The record actually fell a few times during the 1930s, but once Hutton set his mark in 1938, there was to be a long wait...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2017 - 10:55 PM